Sunday, March 22, 2015

All the feels...

(Started this post on March 22, 2015)
Better late than never!

I hesitated to compose any blogs between all the big milestones that awaited me with the end of my veterinary school career in sight.  So many things have been accomplished!

Proudly, I am thrilled to announce the following amazing milestones and accomplishments in my life:
  • I passed my NAVLE board examination!
  • My boyfriend has been awarded the Kansas State University equine surgery residency!
  • I have happily accepted a job as the associate veterinarian at a small animal emergency clinic in Kansas!
  • We found the perfect home in Manhattan, Kansas that has plenty of room for both of us and the critters as well as a giant fenced in yard!
Clinics at THE Ohio State University has been beyond amazing.  I have made some amazing connections with students, clinicians, residents, and interns.  Words can't begin to relay my sincere gratefulness for their role in my time at Ohio State.  The rotations have been extremely educational and taught me so much.  I'm thankful for the interactions with clients and the variety of cases that I have been exposed to.  Like my previous post, I've just tried to be a sponge to everything.  Trying to just soak it all in.  Even after passing boards, I still yearn for those lessons and the exposure to the cases.

I'm definitely excited for the real world and the learning experiences that await me.  I truly feel that the knowledge that I've gained in clinics is going to allow me to be as prepared as possible for the world beyond clinics.

During clinics, I spent one month at Metropolitan Veterinary Hospital in Copley, Ohio.  I externed there and was able to spend time with their emergency service, internal medicine service, and their soft tissue/orthopedic surgery service.  I got to engage in their weekly rounds on various topics.  I was able to see the workings of a private referral hospital.  The variety of cases that came through were extremely educational on all three services.  And lastly, I realized that I still absolutely love surgery.  During my time at Metro, I was hosted by a fellow veterinarian and friend who practices at a local small animal hospital in the area.  We enjoyed some fun local summer fun like going to a neighborhood deep fry, a fun family 4th of July get together, and even a fun country concert featuring Toby Keith.

I was also very fortunate to spend an entire month with Dr. Karl Maritato at MedVet Medical & Cancer Center for Pets in Cincinnati, Ohio.  At that point, I had decided that my time would be entirely dedicated to the surgery department.  From GDVs to BDLD (big dog, little dog) to TTA (tibial tuberosity advancement) to THR (total hip replacement) procedures.  I saw it all!  I loved the staff at MedVet.  I loved the opportunity that I was given to evaluate patients prior to Dr. Maritato or the resident and being able to formulate my own interpretation of the findings that I had come across.  We discussed differentials, interpreted diagnostics, and discussed post-operative care together.  I was trusted to sterily drape the patients for procedures, assemble the surgery instrument table, and....I even got to approach some abdominal procedures with the guidance of an amazing mentor.  The staff won me over at both the Cincinnati and Dayton locations...they were beyond caring, helpful, and so very knowledgeable.  I really enjoyed my time in Dr. Maritato's OR, the opportunity to learn, and being able to make additions to my clinical knowledge.

While I was in Cincinnati, I took my board exam.  I have to admit, I'm really glad that I was away from campus and clinics the month before I took the exam.  My own anxiety about it all was enough to deal with!  I managed to finish 100% of VetPrep review material prior to taking my examination.  I also took two of the practice board exams that the NAVLE website has available.  I guess the go-home message for preparing for boards is don't not study!  Prepare yourself as much as possible.  Prepare for the worst but hope for the best.  There is a chance that you might have to take it the next time the exam is offered.  So prepare yourself for that.  It's not the best case scenario...but at least you have another opportunity!  Be brave...be prepared...just try your best.  That's all you can do.

I feel like it wasn't until after my board examination was over that I truly was able to take some time to focus on my application materials like my cover letter and CV.  I reached out to SEVERAL people to review these materials before deciding on the final products.  I lined up my references.  I hoped that Jarrod would receive an offer to continue at KSU, so I started reaching out to clinics in that area.  My first job application went to Banfield located in Topeka.  I received a notice after I submitted my application that I was going to get a phone interview!  One of my favorite professors from RUSVM, Dr. Brad Simon, offered up his time to stage a phone interview with me so I was as prepared as possible.  I highly recommend doing this!  As silly as it may seem and feel, take advantage of these opportunities to practice!  Look at those typical questions asked and prepare a response!  It made me more confident and it allowed me to really iron out my responses (because I really saw phone interviews in my future especially applying to jobs in another state).  Dr. Simon's pseudo-interview truly was what set me on the path to success.  I can't thank him enough for the opportunity to practice and be put on the spot with interview specific questions.

I didn't get the job at Banfield...but it did prepare me for what was to come.  It gave me the confidence that I needed to conduct an interview over the phone and speak to future employers from a distance.  To be confident in me and presenting why I was going to be a wonderful addition to wherever I applied to.  Don't beat yourself up if a door closes on a place that you applied to...just keep applying and striving.  It is important to trust your path and be open to possibilities in areas of veterinary medicine that weren't on your radar.

So after my let down with the Banfield position, I pressed on and kept working on my cover letter revisions.  I started researching clinics that were near and far surrounding Manhattan, KS (at this point I had found out that Jarrod had in fact secured his residency at KSU through the match program).  I made sure to look up and write out info from the websites as well as facebook pages from clinics that I was interested in.  I even went as far as to call my top 10 and act like I was a soon-to-be client moving to the area to see who was on the other line and if I liked what I heard!  I mailed out 10+ very professional and focused cover letters and CVs to my favorite places I came across.  I printed off my application materials on the best Kinkos paper and even had labels printed for my address and the address of the hospitals I was reaching out to.  Filled nice, new manilla envelopes with them and went to the post office and paid for the little over $1 shipping of each mailing.  It was an experience!  There were my hopes and dreams going out to these clinics.  I was so hopeful that someone would return the call.....

Nope they never did!!!  But that's ok!

In addition to my googling and facebooking (regardless if I had seen an ad posted for employment opportunities), I also utilized the AVMA Career Center site DAILY!  I attribute this daily search to my current employment success story.  As soon as I saw a post for a position within 1 hour of Manhattan, I submitted my application materials.  Did I originally think of going into ER straight out of veterinary school??  Nope!  But I applied with the intention that if this door opened for me, I would know that it was worth investigating.  Sure enough...this door opened.  The answer to my prayers (and Jarrod's).  I messaged a friend who is currently employed in Kansas and let her know as soon I pressed the send button to my email that I was applying.  Luckily she had externed at the ER and had some really great things to say.  My amazing friend also offered to supply a letter of reference to the clinic to help support my application (AMAZING!).  I received a call about my application and I spoke frequently with the head ER vet and got a feel for the job as well as who I would be working alongside.  Needless to say I was excited.  She was enthusiastic to talk to me about scenarios, willing to share employment benefits and give me the layout of my future job, and she was just so down-to-earth.  She said she would present my information and application materials to the board of veterinarians that ran the ER and would let me know when they would be available to interview me.

I had an interview over Skype with several of the board members and set myself up at OSU in the equine surgery viewing room to have the interview.  It was nerve-wracking but I had prepared myself accordingly so I felt as prepared as I could be.  The interview went really well!  And after it was conducted I stopped at my favorite indian food restaurant and grabbed a Corona to relive the interview in my head and attempt to relax.  So I sat there, drink in my hand...hashing it all over in my head.  Texting family and friends on how things went.  And then I got a call from the ER vet's number. They offered me the position!

I felt relief...I felt nervous...I felt excited.  I made arrangements to see my contract before saying a yes or no.  Long story short (after picking the brains of very trusted friends about this decision)...I said YES!!!  I'm so excited for this opportunity and adventure!  Who knew that my first steps out into the real world would be with emergency medicine!  It's exhilarating!

So I'm wrapping my time up at THE Ohio State University and cherishing every moment I have left with friends and family in the Columbus area.  I'm packing one brown box at a time with the belongings in my apartment...so bittersweet!!

Preparing to move to another state has been stressful!  But it's going to work out and it's going to be SO worth it!  I plan on giving my pets that I know will be anxious the appropriate sedation for the drive (LOL).  I have friends that are lending a helping hand to send me on my way and bring my belongings down 3 flights of stairs and into the moving trailer.  PS...I am putting a trailer on my Santa Fe and driving it 12+ hours...there's a first for everything!

4/28/15
Since starting this post, I've completed my clinics at Ohio State and moved to Manhattan, Kansas to live with the love of my life in our new home with a giant yard. The move was crazy. The drive was 15+ hours long and it was so stressful with a super heavy trailer and all my furbabies with me. It was hard to say goodbye to so many. But I'm so blessed to have had the amazing group of folks that showed up and helped me move. It definitely wouldn't have been possible without them! 

Everything is in line to graduate on April 30th from RUSVM (special/early graduation date that I had to apply for so I could start working May 1st). I have met with my associate and am actually at the clinic shadowing for a night to get the lay of the land.

So this is where I leave you all...my veterinary school career has been completed. To those that have followed me, my journey, and my blog, thank you!  I hope this blog has helped all those pursuing veterinary medicine as well as those interested in attending RUSVM. 

(I'm debating if I should start a new blog focused on the start of my career and experiences from the ER veterinary clinic...stay tuned!)

Selfie with my clinic's sign!


2 comments:

  1. I read lots of blogs about the writing services but honestly speaking i found your blog very interesting and informative.
    affordable papers

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can I contact you with a private question?

    ReplyDelete